Friday, 17 May 2013

The Intern Diaries!

I started interning for an e-commerce company last week who are involved in photographing and styling products for some very well known brands such as Ben Sherman, New Look, Matalan and Harrods (to name a few). Last week was a bank holiday so I started on the Tuesday and I was very excited to get stuck in. I’ve interned once before at a PR Company and I had an amazing experience there, I'm not sure any other internship will match how great that one was but I hope any internship I do is similar! The company I'm interning with at the moment is very different to my last internship, they have lots of people working for them including stylists, photographers, retouchers, models… the list goes on… whereas my last internship there were three ladies I was working with so it was much more personal and I learnt so much.

Anyway, on Tuesday I basically felt like I had been chucked head first in the deep end, I was given no direction on what to do at the start of the day and wasn’t even sure who to speak to about anything. Another intern had to ‘show me the ropes’ in a sense. To find a task to do, I basically had to walk round the extremely big studio and ask all the stylists and photographers if they needed any help with anything, I hadn’t been introduced to any of them and I was a little nervous at this stage, I was wondering around aimlessly. I was then given the task of steaming for a stylist which is what you can expect to do as an intern. After finishing steaming and soon realising there was no more tasks for me to get on with, I actually didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, how do you make yourself look keen to intern when you don’t know anyone and no one has anything for you to do? For the rest of the day I managed to find a few tasks to get on with and I went home at the end of the day feeling pretty shitty and I wanted to have a little cry but I thought, no I will stick at this, it can only get better, right?

Well one week on, and on more of a positive note, I'm glad I didn’t run for the hills. Once I had been there for a few days people started to recognise me more and once you’ve helped out a stylist once they know they can trust you to do things correctly and they’re more likely to let you help them out on the next shoot. I’ve only been there a week and a couple of days and I’ve learnt a pretty good amount, I’ve assisted on body model shoots, a little awkward I must say when the male models are stripping off in front of you… I literally didn’t know where the hell to look!! I’ve also helped with styling shoes, accessories and clothing for mannequin shots, there are some lovely girls there who always let me help out on their shoot and I'm learning lots from them so far. My time there has got a whole lot better since I started last week, I think once you know that you have to ask around for tasks it’s not so scary and you just get on with it! I'm looking forward to learning more at the moment and will be doing weekly blog post for my intern diaries for the next 4 weeks! (I promise next week I won’t talk so much, I get carried away when I'm typing).

I thought I would finish the post with what I wore for my first day! It’s always scary knowing what to wear on your first day of anything; you need to dress appropriate to the workplace because you can’t mirror other people’s image until you’ve been there.

Internship_fashion
What_to_wear_to_your_internship
Internship_outfits

Top | Topshop
Trousers | H&M £5 (sale)
Jacket | Primark £12 (sale)
Boots | Topshop £45


26 comments:

  1. I love interning, it's so good to get an idea of what certain industries are really like to work for. The last internship I did was for this was amazing events company and it was really interesting to see all the different components that go into each event - it's not all glamorous that's for sure!

    I know what you mean about being thrown into the deep end, I remember feeling so lost and didn't have a clue what to do, and of course I didn't want to ask and feel stupid aha. Like you said everything seems to calm down after the first week and as you become more comfortable with your surroundings and people you're working with you really start to enjoy yourself - especially if you're handling male body shoots! ;)

    I'm currently sorting out a new internship for the summer and I'm already nervous for that awkward first week!

    Hope you're next week is a little smoother, now you've done your first just try and relax and have fun.

    Samuel James Morris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it really helps you decide what it is you want to actually do too! Yeh, I can imagine it wouldn't all be party and glamour but it sounds fun organising it all anyway :)

      Haha it was just so awkward on the male body shoots but it is fun and has got so much better! You'll be fine (well after the first week maybe aha) good luck with your one!

      Thank you! And thanks for your comment :D
      x

      Delete
  2. I really want to intern but I'm not sure I'm ready to brave the industry just yet! It's so daunting to be thrown in at the deep end for such well-known companies! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh I know what you mean, but once you've done one you learn so much and you get to learn that not all of them are the same (that's probs the scary part)!!

      xx

      Delete
  3. smple but amazing outfit! I'm in love with your style <3

    londonandcoffee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's so lovely, thank you sweet xx

      Delete
  4. I'm glad your weeks gotten better! I hope you don't mind me asking but when did you buy that jacket? my faithful pleather jacket fell apart on me after 2 years together and I'm heart broken without it!

    Jamie-Lee | Glitter Infatuation | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so glad it has too :) I bought the jacket only about 2 weeks ago! It was so cheap, only from primark and they had loads in xx

      Delete
  5. Ooo I hate started in new places and not knowing what to do or who to talk to!
    I think your outfit was perfect though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so scary! Oo thank you! xx

      Delete
  6. I'd love to intern when I'm slightly older as its a great way to get experience in the industry- well done for putting a brave face on :) love the outfit! hope everything goes great with your intern :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would definitely advise you too, it's such a good way into the industry too :) Thank you lovely xx

      Delete
  7. Hope everythng goes well for you with your intership! & I love this outfit! Very similar to my style! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds terrifying! Can't believe they did literally throw you in at the deep end - sounds like you took it in your stride though. Well done!
    Your outfit looks great, too :)
    xx

    http://sarah-nunn.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so scary at first, so much better now though :) thank you Sarah! xx

      Delete
  9. Hope your internship continues to get better :D Your first day sounds really scary but so glad it's okay now and you soldiered on - a lot of people wouldn't have. Also love your outfit, it really is hard to know what to wear on your first day of anything!!

    Holly Mixtures

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider running haha, I think soldiering on was defo for the best though aha! Thank you sweet xxx

      Delete
  10. I noticed your blog through the e-tailpr blog and love it :-) really enjoying your style posts and this one, and it really is scary trying to fit into a new environment and finding tasks to do as you can feel lost, but its great news that you feel more confident and enjoying the work :-) now following and cant wait to see more xx

    www.krystelcouture.com
    GLAMGLOW GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo really, ah thank you :) I know, I think everything gets better in time, luckily :) thank you for following too! xx

      Delete
  11. Got your link through the FBL Chat. Great post, starting to thing about placements at the minute so it's great to hear about someone elses experiences!

    Efia @ Effy Talks Life

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. well done on your internship, glad you got settled in nicely, things like that are always so daunting until you get used to it! lovely outfit too :)

    http://aloveaffairwith.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

All comments are read and very much appreciated, so thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...